Are you scared of accessorising?
Do you find it hard to know after you’ve put on your clothes which shoes to choose? Should you belt? If so what sort of belt? Should you match handbag and shoes? Should you wear both earrings and a necklace?
Accessories are the icing on your cake, they add detail and interest and add that final touch to create great style. Look at women that you perceive as stylish, I bet that they wear accessories well, whether it’s a statement necklace, a fabulous shoe, cuff bracelet, earrings or dynamite handbag, there will be those accessory elements that complete their outfit.
1. There is no need to match shoes and handbags these days, provided the tonality works, different colours can add impact to your outfit. Matching can look too conservative and lack imagination.
2. Earring and necklace sets are also best not worn together, repeat elements of your necklace in your earrings, but no need for them to be a matching set.
3. Make sure your shoes work with your outfit, if you haven’t got a full length mirror to check yourself out in from head to toe, get one, you need to see if your whole outfit works, and that includes the shoes. When deciding which shoes to wear often I’ll put different ones on each foot and then look at them in the mirror to decide which works best for that outfit.
4. When choosing necklaces or earrings, look for elements of shape or colour that relate to the cothes you’re wearing. For example if your jacket or shirt has a curved collar, then look for a necklace with curved detail. If it’s a straight or sharp collar, then a necklace with more angular detail will work more harmoniously.
5. Don’t forget scarves can be a great accessory. If you have a shorter neck, then wear long rectangular scarves just draped around your neck to create a lovely long elongating line, if you have a longer neck than you can wrap all sorts of shapes and styles of scarves around your neck. Here are a couple of links if you want some tips on how to tie scarves or how to tie a pashmina.
Why not go through your wardrobe and pull out some accessories and see how you can add them to your outfit to add a dash of pizazz.
More reading on accessories: