Most of us don’t have unlimited clothing budgets, but that doesn’t mean we don’t want to look great in the clothes we wear. So how do you get more bang for your buck? How do you invest your clothing dollars more wisely?
To look like a $million, you need to think quality. You can find quality at all price points so what should you look for?
- Clothes that fit you well. Garments that appear to have been tailored for your unique body always look more expensive than ill-fitting garments, which look like you can’t afford your own clothes and you’ve borrowed someone elses. Get your clothes altered to fit you and they will instantly look higher quality – and so will you!
- Good condition. Pilled, stained, torn, faded clothes make you look old and worn out. When deciding if your clothes are still good enough for you to wear, run this past them “would I buy it from a charity shop?” if the answer is NO, then let them go.
- Good quality fabric. Acrylic pills within 1 or 2 wears – it’s not worth the money you spend on it. Good quality fabrics will last longer and look fresher. Sometimes spending a little more to get a better fabric will repay itself multiple times over as you keep the garment for much longer and your cost-per-wear diminishes hugely.
- Well-constructed. Look at how the seams are finished, how large the stitches are that have been used, whether or not a garment is lined. All these are indicators of the quality of construction. If you want a piece of clothing to last and look great, it needs to be made well. Loose threads should be snipped off as soon as they appear. If you can see two lines of sewing on parts of garments where there should only be one, this will cheapen the appearance.
- Colours suit you. When the colours you wear suit you, they make you look healthier and younger, more vibrant and alive, more efficient and effective. Understanding which colours to choose will actually make your wardrobe more versatile as your clothes will mix and match easily and you will need less clothes to create more outfits. This will save you money and make you look great all at the same time!
- Understanding your unique body. The more you know about what clothing styles and shapes suit your body, the easier it is to shop and the less you waste on clothes that don’t work for you. I bet that any clothes that you have in your wardrobe that rarely if ever get worn are clothes that don’t suit your body shape, proportions, colouring or personality. There will be a valid reason why they hang there. Investing in the knowledge of what works will save you money for the rest of your life as you don’t buy clothes that aren’t right for you.
- Belts and Buttons. These are two obvious indicators of the quality of a garment. Cheap plastic buttons look just that, cheap. It can be worth going to the haberdashery store and finding some good quality buttons and replacing the ones on the garment as it will give the garment a more expensive appearance. Belts that come with a garment are rarely good quality. Replace them with a good quality leather belt (in good condition) as it will raise the overall appearance
Now it’s time to go through your wardrobe and figure out what is making you look fabulous, and what is robbing you of your value.
Not sure what to suits you? Maybe it’s time you booked an image consultation with me to really get your style and wardrobe sorted.